High scores to begin, but pandemic stops LVSL season

HIGH scores were the order in the opening round of Latrobe Valley Soccer League senior action, with a total of 33 goals scored.

The season has been suspended until at least April 14 following a directive from Football Federation Australia to halt grassroots competitions because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Premier Olympians continued its good work with a 5-2 victory over Sale United in Traralgon on Sunday.

Henri Scott was the star for Olympians with a hat-trick.

Lining up with a few key players missing against a strengthened Olympians side, Sale looked composed in the opening minutes of the match. However, the Swans’ game plan changed quickly with the concession of two early goals.

The first was an own goal from an Olympians corner eight minutes in, and the second from Ivan Kekic resulted from a mix-up between the Sale goalkeeper and his defence.

The Swans persevered with their possession-based football, and after some well-worked passing on the edge of the opposition’s box, Anton Wainwright turned his marker inside the area and was felled with a clumsy challenge. The referee had little hesitation in awarding the penalty.

Jake Richardson coolly stepped up and slotted the ball confidently past the Olympians keeper, to reduce the deficit to 2-1.

The goal spurred the Olympians to step up its efforts and after a direct dribble down the left-hand side of the Sale defence, Scott finishing off to open his account and restore the two-goal lead midway through the first half.

Sale began the second half by dominating possession.

With several forays into the Olympians half, it was only a matter of time before something was going to give, and with the awarding of a free kick after another challenge on Wainwright on the front left edge of the Olympians box, Sale took its opportunity. Once again, Richardson took command of the ball and lifted a finely struck shot, over the wall and down quickly into the bottom-hand corner of the net, with the Olympians keeper making a desperate but futile attempt to reach the ball.

Sale took the initiative and again imposed its style of play on the opposition.

Reduced to playing long balls into its forwards, Olympians was held at bay, as the Swans pushed for an equalising goal.

Scott made better use of chances for the home side, netting at 73 and 86 minutes, to complete his hat-trick and seal victory for Olympians.

NEWBOROUGH-Yallourn United made short work of Morwell Pegasus, winning 5-2.

Striker Damon Scott had a field day for United, opening the session with a goal at six minutes and then followed up with two more to complete his hat-trick at 20 and 62 minutes.

United led 3-0 within the first 20 minutes, but Pegasus produced some magic with two goals from Kuku Mahmoud at 24 minutes and Samuel Jacobs at 33 to peg back the margin to only one goal by half-time.

It took United until just on the hour to claim control, with Scott scoring his third only to be followed up by Mark Fairbrother two minutes later to give the reigning champion a 5-2 victory.

A HAT-TRICK from Heydan Cook led Fortuna to a 4-1 win over Moe United.

The rangy striker began the rout at the 32-minute mark, then followed up with goals at 78 and 84 minutes.

Oliver Spiteri also scored for Fortuna just before half-time.

In a rugged match tension was high and the referee was busy tagging players with yellow cards, dishing out six overall with Moe players collecting four.

Down 3-0, Moe squared one back when Nick Dastey converted a spotkick, but Cook finished the day with his third to give the Lions a good season starter.

TRARALGON City was pumped up for the long bus trip to Bairnsdale and ended up smashing East Gippsland United 11-1.

Michael Bloss, better known for his keeping skills, was given the chance in a striking role, scoring six goals.

Last season’s golden boot winner Jake Budija posted four goals in a top display, while Alex Leckey scored a single.

Brandon Ginty scored a consolation goal for the Eagles three minutes before the end.

MONASH drew first blood against Falcons in Saturday night’s opening match.

The Wolves played intelligent soccer to thwart the usually feisty Falcons to win 2-0.

Falcons was reduced to 10 players when newcomer Dale Lee was sent off at 57 minutes, which affected the team’s efficiency in defence.

Monash was quick on the park and kept possession, not allowing Falcons to get any shots. When Falcons did get a break, Leon Cook was there to save for the Wolves.

Monash’s big break came at 25 minutes when Ethan Lawrence scored from the penalty shot after Falcons keeper Charles Simon collided with a Monash player.

Monash added its second goal after sub Mark Kasprowicz crossed to Thomas Bramstedt, who made no mistake with a hard volley.

Although a player down for most of the second half, Falcons still challenged Wolves keeper Leon Cook, but he was able to record the only clean sheet of the round.

CHURCHIL United had the bye.