Olympians overcomes Sale

Laurie Williams

TRARALGON Olympians broke its drought with a 6-2 win over Sale United in a Latrobe Valley Soccer League match featuring seven goals scored during a frenzied second half.

After a two week lay-off, Olympians was keen to get back on the park on Saturday night.

Conditions at Baldwin Reserve were unstable, with a cold wind making play difficult.

The visitors got on board 20 minutes in through Daniel Cooper and held that score until the break. Sale defended well, but couldn’t hit the scorecard.

Olympians owned the game in the second half and jumped out to a 4-0 lead midway through, with goals from Cooper, Jayden Steele and Simon Ieradi.

Sale hit back when Jacob Richardson scored in the 78th minute, but George Fkiaras scored Olympians’ fifth goal only a minute later.

Fkiaras’ second goal only a few minutes later took the score to 6-1, but Sale had the last lunge when Richardson scored its second with two minutes to play.

TRARALGON City upset league leader Monash 3-2 on Saturday night. The visiting Wolves drew first blood, scoring on the 12th minute through Chad Shelley, but the Roosters fought back to equalise only three minutes later. City hit the front at 22 minutes and hung onto a 2-1 lead up to half-time.

Monash pushed hard in the second half and was rewarded when James McHallam goaled 11 minutes into the half.

The pressure was on both sides with Traralgon handled it better than Monash. City broke through the Wolves’ defence to score the winner at 78 minutes, which carried them to victory.

FALCONS maintained bragging rights over Morwell rival Fortuna with a 2-1 victory.

Falcons hit the front at the 13-minute mark, then three minutes later doubled its lead with an own goal.

Both teams had chances, but the wind made conditions tricky.

Trailing 2-0, Fortuna was putting on the pressure and an hour into the match clawed back a goal. Woodwork and a tight defence saw Fortuna’s chances of an equaliser go begging as Falcons held on to win.

MORWELL Pegasus had to wait until the 93th minute to score through Nelson Tombra and defeat Churchill United in a game marred by wind and rain. A draw would have been a fitting result as both teams strived hard without luck.

MOE United defeated local rival Newborough-Yallourn United 1-0, with Nick Fogarty scoring the only goal just before half-time with a hard volley.

The Combine tried to get back into the match, but Moe closed up shop and kept the visitor out.

The Red Devils now head the table on goal difference, ahead of Traralgon City and Falcons.

EAST Gippsland United has a big chance of defeating Sale United for the first time when the sides meet this Sunday at West Bairnsdale Oval.

The Eagles will be fresh after a week’s rest and have been impressive in their previous matches.

Sale, with only one win so far, will be expected to take the points, but the East will be a lot tougher at home and will give the Swans a torrid time.

Newborough-Yallourn will host Olympians in a rematch of the 2019 grand final, with the Combine out for revenge for that loss. Olympians managed to scrape back some form to defeat Sale at the weekend, while NYU suffered its second defeat of the season.

Buoyed by its win over Monash, Traralgon City should give Fortuna a hard time in Morwell. The Lions have yet to win a match in the league, but have three draws.

Undefeated Moe travels to Morwell to face Pegasus, which is building up a solid reputation.

Falcons will face Churchill at home on Saturday night.

Monash will have the bye.