Roosters crow against Sale

Laurie Williams

TRARALGON City came from a goal down to defeat Sale United 3-1 in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League on Saturday night.

The Swans took an early lead in Traralgon, switching from left to right to score seven minutes into the match. Sale has been a noted quick beginner, but tends to drop as the match progresses.

The Swans owned the park early, giving Traralgon little chance of equalising.

Traralgon City persisted and finally broke through with a well-shot goal at 28 minutes from Jack Lester.

City moved again in attack mode and unnoticed DJ Matar lurking behind the pack was able to give the Roosters a 2-1 lead just on half time.

It was a tense second half struggle with both teams going in hard. Shots went wide as the respective keepers were kept on their toes.

Traralgon City got its third goal late in the game, when Jake Budija scored his eighth for the season to bury any chance of a Sale comeback.

IT took Falcons half a game to really hit its straps against Traralgon Olympians on its way to a 7-0 victory on Saturday afternoon.

Falcons was held in check in the first half by a determined Olympians.

Daniel Cooper and Jayden Steele were playmakers for Olympians, but its strikers were floundering under pressure from the Falcons defence.

But 21 minutes in, Ryan McAuley collected the ball after a corner, cross it to Nanda Lazaris, who finished it off for Falcons’ first goal.

McAuley was in the play again just before half-time, when he dribbled the ball along the sideline and with a tightening gap he squeezed the ball between keeper and post for Falcons’ second.

Falcons had most of the run with four corners as Olympians were forced to defend. A couple of timid shots by Olympians were fended off by 50th gamer Charles Simon.

The floodgates opened in the second half as Falcons added five more goals, with Lazaris completing his hat-trick, Jamie Pistrin scoring a brace and Nick D’Alessandro also scoring.

MORWELL Pegasus scored its biggest ever win on Sunday, defeating East Gippsland United 11-1.

Nothing could stop the Horsemen from dominating the match, beginning with an opening minute goal from Kelimet Ramadan.

With a succession of goals from Andre Antonopoulos, Bienfat Kagayo, Samuel Jacob, who converted a penalty, and Levi Mahammad, Pegasus was six up half-time.

But there was more pain for the Eagles, as Kuku Mahmoud and Ramadan scored five goals between them – Mahmoud scored a hat-trick while Ramadan finished with four for the match.

Josh West scored a late consolation goal for the Eagles.

MOE United defeated Churchill United 8-0, equaling its highest score against the Rams, set in 1976.

It took only three minutes for Tanner Pyle to open Moe’s account.

Luke Bathgate stepped up with some hot playmaking, causing Churchill’s defenders a lot of grief. Bathgate’s first goal came in the 26th minutes, and his second and third following in the second half.

Pyle scored his second just on half time.

Noah Kane scored Moe’s sixth goal, then Matt Shearing got into the action with a goal in the 73rd minutes. There was more pain for Churchill Kane scored his second from the penalty spot.

NEWBOROUGH-YALLOURN United defeated crosstown rival Monash 2-0.

The Combine took control early, but was unable to bury the persistent Wolves.

Monash looked dangerous early, but NYU was able to consistently dispossess Monash.

It was a tough clash as both teams, but Ash Birrell put NYU ahead with a goal in the 29th minute.Monash had barely time to recover as the visitors made it 2-0 going into the break, when Mark Fairbrother scored.

Monash missed a couple of chances in the second half, as NYU held on under pressure.

FORTUNA had the bye.

SALE United will have the bye this weekend.

This Sunday, Moe will host Fortuna, Olympians and Churchill will look to bounce back from big losses when they meet in Traralgon, NYU will host Traralgon City, Falcons will head to Bairnsdale to play East Gippsland, and Pegasus will play Monash at home.