Wolves win over Swans

Soccer ball and goal

Laurie Williams

MONASH avenged its loss to Sale United earlier in the season on Saturday night by salvaging a 1-0 win over the Swans in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League.
It took the Wolves 43 minutes of push and thrust to gain the only goal of the match through Jake Dickinson.
The referee was busy as players mingled freely, handing out five yellow cards, two to Monash and three for Sale.
The win put Monash into sixth position and a good chance of gaining a finals berth.
IN Saturday night’s battle of the heavyweights, Moe United scored its biggest win over Falcons.
The 7-2 victory extended the Red Devils’ buffer on top of the ladder
to four points.
Tanner Pyle broke the usually solid Falcons defence when he scored in the sixth minute. Falcons was full of fire and Shannon Whadcoat equalised only four minutes later.
The exciting Connor O’Hanlon, who has been a revelation for Moe, scored in the 24th minute after a header from Luke Bathgate.
Matt Shearing got into the action for Moe with a good volley at 31 minutes, then three minutes later after a Nick Fogerty header hit the
bar, Shearing pounced to score his second goal.
Riley Winkelman raced clear to beat Charles Simon to give Moe a 5-1 lead.
Falcons was in a spin, but Nando Lazaris brought the Birds back into the game with a decisive drive.
But there was still time for Winkelman to score his brace with a stoppage time goal to give the Red Devils an incredible 6-2 half-time lead.
The second half was played with a less attacking mode, with Moe content to drop back and defend.
O’Hanlon, after a perfect pass from Pyle, scored his brace at 52 minutes before both teams went into defensive mode for the rest of the match.
ON Sunday, Fortuna fought hard to defeat a determined Churchill United 3-0, in a match that never reached great heights.
Fortuna coach Jordan Campbell put his side on the board after seven minutes, with the Lions’ lead doubled at 40 minutes when Churchill defender Brodie Murdoch’s mistimed kick saw the ball end up in the Rams’ net.
Damon Scott scored at 40 minutes before a score-less second half.
MORWELL Pegasus maintained third position, now trailing second-placed Falcons only on goal difference, after a 4-2 win over Traralgon  Olympians.
Olympians took the lead after three minutes when Mahamed Taleb scored.
Kuku Mahmoud put Pegasus were back into the match when he equalised at 32 minutes.
Olympians was taking the match up to Pegasus and regained the lead
at 53 minutes through Taleb, but the lead was short-lived as Sam Jacob squared the match up again.
Pegasus was forced to work hard by a solid Olympians defence, but the breakthrough came at the 82-minute mark, when Hussein Eliaser beat the keeper.
To ensure victory, Manny Tombra scored in the 89th minutes.
NEWBOROUGH-YALLOURN United overcame the long journey to Bairnsdale to record a 7-1 victory over East Gippsland United to consolidate fourth place.
Ash Birrell scored a hat-trick, Mark Fairbrother a brace, while brother Dylan scored a goal, as did Tristan Donohue.
The Eagles’ goal came mid-way through the second half from Brandon Ginty.
SALE United will feature in another night match tomorrow, this time at home against Traralgon City.
Both teams will mostly playing for pride, but the Roosters, coming off the bye, have an outside chance of making the finals if teams above them on the ladder fail.
The local derby on Sunday between NYU and Monash will be full of highlights.
Olympians, going through the horrors at present, will host Falcons, who itself will be smarting after a big loss.
Having almost secured top spot on the ladder, Moe will host Churchill, while Pegasus will head to Bairnsdale to play East Gippsland.
Fortuna will have the bye.