Victoria to enter lockdown again

There will be only five reasons to leave the home, including shopping for essential items.

VICTORIA will again a five-day lockdown at midnight tonight (Thursday).

There will only be five reasons to leave home: to get the food and essential supplies, for exercise for up to two hours and no more than five kilometre from home, for care or caregiving, work or education if it can’t be done from home, or to get vaccinated at the nearest possible location.

These restrictions will be in place for five days.

People who were an authorised worker during the last lockdown will be an authorised worker during the new lockdown (see list below). Everyone else must work from home.

The government had already announced face masks, since midnight last night, must be worn indoors at all times (except at home) and outdoors when it’s not possible to physically distance. That required has been updated, with masks to also be worn outdoors at all times.

School will return to remote learning for most students, but open to vulnerable children and the children of essential workers. Higher education and training centres will be closed, with remote learning, unless permitted study.

Essential retail businesses can open with one per person per four square metres. All other general retail business must be closed. Hospitality venues will be closed to in-house dining, but can provide takeaway services.

No more than 10 people (excluding children under 12 months old), plus those necessary to conduct the ceremony, will be permitted to attend funerals.

Weddings will not be permitted unless end of life or for deportation reasons. Only five people (the people being married, the celebrant and two witnesses) will be permitted.

Religious gatherings will not be permitted in-person, but services can be broadcast.

Statement from Premier Daniel Andrews

We now have new cases, new exposure sites and a strain of this virus that is wildly infectious.

We’ve seen this strain before – and you probably already know what we need to do next. 

Victoria will not wait to act. We know that not much good comes from waiting.

Waiting could see more people infected and the number of exposure sites explode.

If we act now – while we’re right on the heels of this outbreak – we can give ourselves every chance of getting ahead of it.

If we wait – we lose that option.

Which is why, on the advice of Acting Chief Health Officer, Victoria will go into lockdown tonight, meaning there are only five reasons to leave home from 11:59pm on Thursday 15 of July 2021.

That means you can only leave home to get the food and the supplies you need, for exercise for up to two hours and no more than 5kms from your home, for care or caregiving, work or education if you can’t do it from home or to get vaccinated at the nearest possible location.

These restrictions will be in place for five days.

A list of authorised work and workers is available online here – but you all know the drill.

If you were an authorised worker during the last lockdown, you’ll be an authorised worker this time around. Everyone else must work from home.

Last night we announced that face masks must be worn indoors at all times (except at home) and outdoors when it’s not possible to physically distance.

Under today’s announcement, face masks must also be worn outdoors at all times.

We know this outbreak didn’t start here in Victoria. We know that wearing face masks can keep us safe and stop the spread.

So please, follow the rules and wear a face mask at all times.

For those that have returned from a red zone on a permit – you must follow the requirements of your permit.

That means going straight home to quarantine for 14 days and only leaving to get tested.

And we must be clear. Quarantining means staying at home.

If you need help getting the food and supplies you need to quarantine at home – call the coronavirus hotline on 1800 675 398.

We are counting on everyone to do the right thing.

For our families, our businesses and our state – stay at home and keep everyone safe.

Authorised providers

The following businesses can open under circuit breaker restrictions. If their employees are unable to work from home they can leave home to attend work:
• a supermarket, grocery store, bakery, butcher, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger; or
• an indoor or outdoor market, but only to obtain groceries or fresh food; or
• a restaurant, café, pub, bar or hotel, whether licensed or unlicensed, but only to the extent that it provides takeaway meals or drinks or a meal delivery service; or it provides food, drink, accommodation or other essential services to those seeking shelter (for example, for reasons of homelessness or family violence); or
• a bottle shop; or
• a financial institution; or
• consular and diplomatic services; or
• court, tribunal or commission services;
• a post office; or
• a news agent; or
• a pharmacy; or
• a petrol station (including a petrol station that sells groceries); or
• vehicle and mechanical repair services; or
• construction; or
• a pet store; or
• a veterinary clinic, and related services (on-farm visits and animal care services) where there is a genuine animal welfare issue, or for the purposes of artificial
insemination; or
• an abattoir, meat, seafood or poultry processing plant; or
• urgent services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises; or
• immunisation or vaccination services; or
• essential child protection activities; or
• a childcare, early learning centre, kindergarten, preschool or family day care provider; or
• a primary or secondary school; or
• a boarding school; or
• a ‘click and collect’ service; or
• a locksmith’s; or
• a community facility (for click and collect only); or
• carparks for the purposes of supporting an Authorised Provider or Authorised Worker; or
• labour hire when servicing an Authorised Provider; or
• laundry and dry cleaners; or
• commercial cleaners.

Authorised workers

Any person who performs work that is essential for the continued operation of:
• an Authorised Provider; or
• authorised health services; or
• funerary or mortuary services or related activities; or
• marriage celebrant only if one or both of the two persons being married are at the end of life, or will be deported from Australia unless the marriage takes place; or
• emergency services, including both volunteers and paid workers in the State Emergency Services; and firefighting services; and paramedical services; and ambulance and paramedics services; and air ambulance and medical retrieval services (including Royal Flying Doctor Service); and Victoria Police employees, Protective Services Officers and police custody officers; and military and defence services deployed for activities in Victoria; or state security or national security; or
• essential infrastructure and essential services that are required to maintain or protect human health, safety and wellbeing (whether provided by a public or private
undertaking), and including construction, maintenance and repair of such infrastructure; or
• critical repairs to any premises where required for emergency or safety; or
• faith leaders broadcasting services and ceremonies at places of worship; or
• retail goods workers supporting the operation of click and collect or click and deliver orders; or
• health practitioners, including medical, nursing, midwifery and allied health students on placement, when undertaking critical training and examinations; or
• allied health professionals working in private or public community services, whether clinic-based or home-based, providing essential clinical care where telehealth
services are not clinically appropriate (Example: orthotists and prosthetists providing services such as fitting a brace post-surgery);
• maternal and child health workers providing essential care to newborns or at-risk babies and children; or
• a person who is critical to, and involved in, the State’s COVID-19 response (including in hotel quarantine and vaccination services); or
• immunisation and vaccination providers including pharmacy immunisers and Aboriginal Healthcare Workers
• roadside assistance services; or
• local government specific services such as:
• essential environmental health functions that protect the health and wellbeing of the community, and high-risk local law enforcement; or
• a member of Parliament or anyone required to ensure the functioning of the Victorian or Commonwealth of Australia Parliaments; or
• domestic and commercial waste and resource recovery services (including collection, treatment and disposal services and transfer stations), including electricity services; and operation of energy systems; and gas services; and water supply, sewerage and drainage services; and liquid fuels and refinery services; or
• services to support ongoing provision and regulation of electricity, gas, water, sewage and waste and recycling services and their maintenance; or
• Commonwealth agency services, including Australian Border Force and Commonwealth law enforcement and intelligence agency services; or
• services related to the administration of justice, including prison transfers; or
• essential legal services that are not able to be provided electronically, including urgent legal matters such as executing a will in-person; or
• journalist and media services; or
• feature film, television and documentary (excluding television commercials, student and corporate productions) that is already in physical production and operating as a
closed set and post-production relating to it; or
• specialist services at telecommunications stores to support telecommunications as a critical service during the COVID-19 pandemic; or
• professional or high-performance sportsperson, workers that support the safe running of that person’s professional sport, and public broadcast personnel necessary for
broadcasting the professional sport; or
• thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing, with necessary participants only; or
• a factory or facility that is not able to be shut down without causing damage or loss to plant and equipment, but only those operations that are necessary in order to prevent that damage or loss; or
• mining services including coal mining, oil and gas extraction, metal ore mining, non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying petroleum production; or
• building and construction services; or
• administrative services provided by an employer to enable its employees to work from home (Example: Payroll and IT services);
• organisations that provide urgent services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises (Example: the performance of emergency plumbing services, Centrelink services and foodbanks);
• public transport, including taxis, rideshare services, and other public passenger services; or
• air transport (including the operation of airports); or
• port operations; or
• freight services (including postal and courier services); or
• a transport, freight or logistics driver; or
• National Heavy Vehicle Regulator compliance activities; or
• a blood bank or other bank services for the collection, storage and provision of donated biological material; or
• care services for people with particular needs because of homelessness, family violence, age, infirmity, disability, illness or a chronic health condition or other essential support services;
• truck stops and roadhouses, but not the provision of seated dining or shower facilities to persons who are not transport, freight or logistics drivers; or
• production and distribution of;
• food and groceries for sale by a supermarket, butcher, fruit and vegetable store, market or fishmonger (including for sale by operators of such premises at an indoor or outdoor market); or
• liquor for sale at a bottle shop; or
• medical and pharmaceutical products; or
• animal food and care products; or
• commercial operations that supply goods or service necessary: for the implementation of measures to limit the spread of COVID-19; or to support any business activity that may be carried out in accordance with these directions; or to support the export of goods and services from Victoria (Example: manufacturing of personal protective equipment or hand sanitiser); or
• the maintenance of other essential research activities for management and care of critical living resources, and the equipment and materials they depend upon (e.g. feeding, husbandry, hydrating, routine care and checks of animals, plants, microbes and cell lines in controlled environment); or the storage and management of existing samples and data research infrastructure that are temperature and environmentally sensitive (e.g. biobank); or long-term experiments or studies that otherwise would be prohibitive to restart (e.g. commenced clinical trials); or research addressing the impact of COVID-19 and research in support of the hospital and broader health system; or
• the conduct of essential adult education services pertaining to the following occupations and activities for training and assessment for infection control, high-risk work licenses and high-risk work credentials and construction induction (white card), that ensure workplace and public safety in permitted work premises or for permitted workers; or study for final year pre-service early childhood and school teachers (including placements); or final-year higher education students (i.e. in TEQSA-regulated courses), who do not have alternative options to complete their study by end of year; or first aid training where required for COVID response; or study for health care workers (including clinical placements); or apprentices training with an Authorised Provider or Authorised Worker; or clinical health and biomedical science (if required to be on site for the maintenance of essential research activities); or aged and disability care (including clinical placements); or mandatory assessments for VCE and VCAL students; or Police Academy; or defence and national security agencies;
• primary industries only to the extent necessary to ensure animal rescue, adequate supply of food to, and care of, animals and maintenance of crops; or
• a hotel, motel or other accommodation facility to the extent that they provide accommodation services, including on a temporary basis for work purposes; or
• services related to property settlement or commencement/end-of-lease (including removalists); or
• forestry activity for the purposes of or relating to:
• production of firewood for heating of premises; or
• production of pallets; or
• production of building supplies for construction; or
• production of other goods required for other permitted activities (e.g. paper, packaging, caskets and coffins); or
• all manufacturing; or
• ancillary and support businesses are able to open on-site where necessary for the operations of an Authorised Provider, or for Closed Work Premises where there are
safety or environmental obligations. The business cannot operate on-site for any other purpose (Examples: production, supply, manufacture, repair, maintenance, cleaning, security, wholesale, distribution, transportation or sale of equipment, goods or services essential to the operation of the Authorised Provider);
• union/peak body/employer organisation officials attending a worksite as permitted by law or for Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) advice
• a person who is critical to, and involved in, the State’s COVID-19 response (including in hotel quarantine); or a fly in fly out worker or a drive in drive out worker who is required for industry or business continuity and maintenance of a competitive operation where the service is time-critical, who is responsible for critical maintenance or repair of infrastructure critical to a region of, or to, Victoria; or maritime crew; or a necessary individual for the purposes of the major event where that event has an exemption from CHO allowing it to proceed, including any workers and public broadcast personnel that support the safe running of the major event.
• farm animal and bloodstock leasing activities, including farming activities and other operations relating to agriculture, horticulture, viticulture, irrigation, permaculture, apiculture, grains, fibre production, dairy, flower industry, commercial fishing, aquaculture and livestock; or intensive agricultural production including; greenhouses and animal production; or agricultural, veterinary chemicals and vaccine production, transportation and distribution (including the Pig Services Centre); or laboratory and diagnostic services; or animal feed production, transportation, packaging, sale, and feeding (including livestock and pets); or animal pounds and shelters (no public access).
• a business or undertaking providing essential support services to permitted agriculture, forestry and fishing activities, such as food safety and verification, inspection or
associated laboratory services and biosecurity functions.

Authorised health services

Any provider of:
• emergency surgery, procedures and medical consulting undertaken for the investigation, diagnosis and management of conditions where failure to do so expediently and safely will lead to the following outcomes: loss of life; or loss of limb; or permanent disability; or
• non-emergency but urgent surgery, procedures and medical consulting undertaken for the investigation, diagnosis and management of conditions where failure to do
so in a clinically appropriate timeframe will lead to a predictable and evidence-based outcome as follows: loss of life where appropriate health intervention would otherwise have prevented this; or permanent disability where appropriate health intervention would otherwise have prevented this; or where clinical evidence supports an increased risk of a type referred to in the above points should appropriate health intervention be significantly delayed; or
• emergency and licensed non-emergency patient transport; or
• any health services provided under the auspices of a hospital, urgent care centre or similar service including bush nursing centres; or
• any health services provided by a general practitioner; or
• any health services provided by a nursing professional or midwife; or
• any health services provided at a hospital radiology service (other than routine screening services); or
• procedures and surgical treatment undertaken by oral health professionals (e.g. dentists and oral health therapists) in the management of patients with urgent needs that include: facial swelling; intra-oral swelling; facial trauma; dental trauma; significant/constant/uncontrollable pain; procedures to complete any cycle of IVF treatment that a patient has commenced before the commencement of the defined period, or any procedure required for the preservation of eggs for future IVF where required health treatment will render eggs non-viable; or
• surgical termination of pregnancy; or
• drug and alcohol services; or
• the following allied health services: allied health services provided by allied health professionals working as authorised workers in hospitals or in residential care facilities providing critical clinical care or as directed by the hospital; or allied health workers professionals working in private or public community services, whether clinic-based or home-based, providing essential clinical care where telehealth services are not clinically appropriate; or allied health services provided by allied health professionals working in private practice providing care through telehealth and other virtual care options; students, medical/nursing/midwifery/allied health on placement providing authorised care in hospitals or in residential care facilities, or through telehealth; or
• the conduct of human medical research trials; or
• the following mental health services: the hospital emergency or inpatient psychiatric services; or allied health professionals providing mental health services in hospital; or private consultant psychiatry practice by telehealth, or by face-to-face (but only for urgent care where telehealth is not clinically appropriate); or allied health professionals providing mental health services in community settings by telehealth, or by face-to-face (but only for urgent care where telehealth is not clinically appropriate)
• but does not include: cosmetic surgery or other procedures not addressing significant medical conditions.