Maffra wins tussle

RELATED: Pies lose in the wet

IN its best performance of the season, Maffra overcame Gippsland League football premier Traralgon on Saturday.

The Eagles made the early running, establishing a 25-point lead by half-time. That advantage helped the visitors as conditions became greasy in the second half.

The Eagles’ 13.14 (92) to 12.6 (78) victory saw them replace the Maroons in second place on the ladder.

Maffra controlled play at the stoppages and the contested positions when it mattered most. Best-on-ground Kel Porter led the Eagles’ onball brigade against the Maroons’ potent midfield.

Jackson Scott, David Adams and Winston Gieschen also used the ball to great affect.

Captain Sam Pleming held strong in defence when the Maroons mountain a challenge.

Mitch continued his rich vein of form, booting five vital goals.

After the home side kicked the opening goal, the Eagles responded with the next five majors.

Pressure from the Eagles made it hard for the Maroons to move the ball into their forward line. Maffra restricted the Maroons’ running game with good tackling and by controlling stoppages, while the Eagles were winning more free kicks by being harder at the ball.

Leading by 22 points at quarter-time, the Eagles extended the margin to 25 by the main break.

During time-on in the second term, Traralgon’s Dylan Loprese received a yellow card following a late hit on Adams.

With rain falling, and the lights coming on, the Maroons appeared to adopt to the change in conditions better, reducing the deficit to 19 points. But the Eagles wrested control away when Bennett kicked two goals in quick succession.

Maffra went into the final term with a 34-point lead, however, were down a midfielder, with Dan O’Brien injured on the sidelines.

The Maroons pressed hard to get back into the match, booting four goals to one for the term, but the Eagles were able to prevent the home side getting too much of a run on.

Traralgon defender Jordan Bourke marked Andrew Petrou well, while Jake Vucenovic was another of the Maroons’ better players. Hayden Hector booted four goals for the Maroons.

LEONGATHA put in another powerful performance to defeat Moe by 105 points.

With the Lions celebrating Peter Ainsworth 300th senior game for the club, the visitors were in no mood to party, piling on seven goals to two in the first quarter.

The Parrots pressed home their advantage, and, while the Lions matched them in the final term, they won comfortably, 21.14 (140) to 5.5 (35).

Chris Verboon and Hayden Browne stood-out for the Parrots, while Chris Dunne and Aaron Hillberg kicked five goals each.

Ainsworth kicked two goals in his milestone match for the Lions.

MORWELL recorded its first win of the season, defeating Bairnsdale by 21 points at home.

After a five-goal to one first term, the Tigers won 15.6 (96) to 10.15 (75), moving them off the bottom of the ladder.

The Tigers had nine goal kickers, lead by best-on-ground Ryan Tatterson, who booted five majors.

WONTHAGGI was too strong for Drouin, winning 14.12 (96) to 7.6 (48) at home.

Four unanswered goals in the second term by the Power set-up its win, which relegated the Hawks to the bottom of the ladder.