No fortune for United

Laurie Williams

A HAT-trick from Hayden Cook saw a hard-hitting Fortuna side smash Sale United in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League on Sunday.

The 7-0 victory was Fortuna’s biggest over Sale since its 9-0 win in 2006.

The Swans were no match for the fired up Morwell side, which began its demolition when Cook scored eight minutes in. Two more goals shortly after from Liam McCluskey and Cook again had Fortuna up 3-0 within the first 15 minutes.

Sale defended stoutly, keeping the Lions scoreless up to the break, however it wasn’t long after the rest period that Fortuna got mobile again and goals came at a constant rate from Brandon Scott and Shayne Cassar. At 90 minutes, Cook scored his third goal for the day to complete the rout.

FALCONS had to overcome a tenacious Moe United to grab a 1-0 victory.

Nick D’Allesandro was in the right place to put one past veteran Moe keeper Peter Albanese at 15 minutes to give Falcons the only goal of the match.

Both teams had chances early, but the keepers made decisive saves. Albanese came in for plenty of work in the Moe goal late in the match, and had to pull off three strong saves to deny Falcons of any additional scores.

Nick Fogarty and Lachlan McKenzie did well for Moe and Ty Georgio, when given space, moved the ball well.

Falcons, with strikers D’Allesandro and Jamie Pistrin lurking near the box, was always going to be hard to control.

CHURCHILL United took out its third win for the season after a highly-charged battle with Monash.

It was pressure all day with neither team able to create a breakthrough, until a lapse by Monash three minutes into injury time saw Churchill post the winning goal through Corey O’Shea.

NEWBOROUGH-YALLOURN United eventually broke Traralgon City’s defence to grab the three points, 2-1.

Neither team gave anything away, but the Combine broke the deadlock after 39 minutes through Hayden Tanti, only to see City equalise just before the break through Tommy Nguyen.

NYU regained the lead 11 minutes into the second half with a deflected own goal by a City defender.

Both teams had chances, but Traralgon City couldn’t break through the strong NYU defence.

TRARALGON Olympians kept its perfect record against Trafalgar Victory intact with a well-earned 4-0 win.

Two goals in each half secured the win with Tony Pardo scoring at 23 minutes. A mix-up gave Olympians their second only 10 minutes later through Bailey Row.

Trafalgar hung on without any success, but was still bravely fighting for every possession.

It took Olympians well into the second half to get their next pair on the board, at 74 through Ethan Lawrence and four minutes later another goal was scored to wrap up the match.