A WEEK after committing to begin the 2020 season, the Latrobe Valley Soccer League has abandoned its junior competitions.
During a meeting of LVSL and junior club delegates on Monday night, it became clear the competitions were not sustainable this year because of the lack of team entries.
There were concerns around the safety of players, parents, volunteers and the general community; continued uncertainty about COVID-19; the stringent obligation and potential liabilities for volunteers associated with policing COVID-19 requirements, and the additional financial burden and volunteer workload.
While its senior competitions had already been cancelled, the league had been working to play its juniors from July 25.
LVSL president Allan Roberts said the decision to cancel the season was in the best interests of not only the local football community, but the wider local community.
“We acknowledge that this is extremely disappointing to our junior players, unfortunately we cannot proceed without sustainable team entries across our competitions,” he said.
“For those players who wish to continue in football activity, it was clearly indicated by our member clubs that they will look at avenues to keep players engaged at club level.
“The LVSL board are also committed to looking at other football opportunities later in the year once we have a greater level of certainty within the COVID-19 environment.”