Gippsland League football resumes: Magpies swoop on Tigers

Sale's Jack McLaren lays a tackle on Morwell midfielder Boyd Bailey at the weekend. Photo: Tom Gannon

Liam Durkin

AFTER a three week absence, Gippsland League resumed its season at the weekend.
Matches originally scheduled for round 10 went ahead in what was effectively matchday seven.

SALE broke away in the last quarter to defeat Morwell 11.9 (75) to 6.8 (44).
The Tigers kept within striking distance of Sale for the best part of three quarters, but a third quarter fade out proved costly for the home team, which played catch-up football from then on in.

Sale got out of the blocks with seven scoring shots to three in the opening quarter, and took a 14 point lead at the first break.

An even second term saw Morwell kick three goals while Sale added two, as the margin was reduced to eight points in the Magpies’ favour.

The travelling Magpies took ascendency in the third, adding two goals to none, before seeing the game out with four goals to two to run out 31 point victors.

Brad Dessent kicked three goals for Sale in his first game in 10 weeks, while Shannen Lange was best on ground and helped himself to two majors.

Others to play well for the Magpies were the two Mitchells — Bown and Thacker — as well as Jack McLaren, Nathan Whitford and Jordan Dowsett.

Morwell was best served by Matt Murphy, Zac Anderson, Brandon McAuliffe, Tom Caile, Josh Hecker and Boyd Bailey.

The win keeps Sale in outright fourth position on the ladder, and with the opportunity to secure a double chance by swapping places with a side in the top three in weeks to come.
MAFFRA got a much-needed win on the board over Warragul.

It was the Eagles’ first win in seven weeks, and kept hopes of a midseason revival and surge up the ladder possible.

The home side led from start to finish, extending its lead throughout the match to win 11.6 (72) to 5.7 (37).

Maffra set the game up in the first quarter, kicking 4.3 (27) to no score, and from there, was able to go about its business and add more goals along the way.

By three quarter time, the Eagles had bled the margin out to 40 points, and despite only adding one goal in the last term, victory was reasonably assured from midway through the last term.

Youngster Tom Gray played a great game and was voted best on ground. The Carr boys, Ed and Alex also played well, as did Lachlan Channing, Andrew Petrou and Tom Jolly.
The Gulls found good contributions from Jack Mentha, Tom Hibbs and Sean Masterson.
Warragul remains the only team in the Gippsland League without a win.

THE match between Moe and Leongatha did not disappoint, with both sides kicking 13 goals each.

However, it was the home side which did enough in the finish to win by five points 13.8 (86) to 13.3 (81).

Aaron Heppell slotted five for Leongatha, while Kristian Jaksch, a clear best on ground for Moe, was unstoppable, kicking eight.

The results sees Leongatha leapfrog Moe into second spot on the ladder, thanks to a superior percentage.

WONTHAGGI remains the only unbeaten team in the competition, after it edged out Traralgon to win by 10 points 10.8 (68) to 8.10 (58).

An even first quarter saw seven goals kicked, with the Power taking a slender six point lead at the first break, and maintaining just enough breathing space from its opponent for the rest of the match.

While it remains unbeaten on top of the ladder, the Power has won three games by under 12 points, which may have it ahead of where it actually is.

DROUIN put in a strong second half to roll Bairnsdale.

The Hawks slammed on 10 goals to two after the main break to win 16.10 (106) to 8.8 (56), meaning the two hour journey was an even longer trip home for the Redlegs than usual.

The win keeps Drouin in the top five, a game clear of Traralgon in sixth.